This is the ultimate chicken pot pie with mushrooms and a riesling bechamel sauce.
You can use any pie crust, but the Cream Cheese Pie Crust with Thyme brings goes great with this recipe. If possible, rest dough overnight before forming. For the bottoms measure the sides and bottom of the pan. Then for the width of the circle cutouts for the bottoms, add the depth of the pan times two, plus the width of the bottom of the pan, and then add another inch for the crimp. For the circle cutouts for the tops, measure the width of the pan and add another inch for the crimp.
This recipe yields six 5 inch deep dish individual chicken pot pies.
750 g/ 1 lb 11 oz pie dough (I use Cream Cheese Pie Crust with Thyme)
570 g/ 1 ¼ lb chicken thighs
562 g/ 18 ½ oz chicken stock
140 g/ 5 oz riesling
80 g/ 3 oz whole milk
33 g/ 1 ⅓ oz heavy cream
165 g/ 6 oz mushrooms, sliced
130 g/ 4 ½ oz onions, medium chop
65 g/ 2 ⅓ oz carrots, thinly sliced
20 g/ 1 ½ tablespoons butter + 35 g/ 2 ½ tablespoons butter
20 g/ 1 ½ tablespoons flour
1 g/ ¾ tsp parsley, chopped
1 g/ ¾ tsp thyme, chopped
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
eggwash (1 egg plus 1 tablespoon water, beaten)
- Bring the stock to boil. Add chicken, bring back to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from stock to cool, reserving stock.
- Once cool, shred chicken. Put it in a large bowl.
- While chicken is cooling, add riesling to the stock. Raise the heat until it’s boiling, and reduce down until it’s a syrupy consistency. It should be about a 1/2 cup.
- Turn off the heat and cool slightly.
- Add the milk and heavy cream.
- Melt 20 g of butter in a small pan, and lightly sauté the chopped onions. Add the carrots and cook a couple of minutes. Then add the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms have just softened. Add the vegetables to the chicken.
- Reheat the stock mixture until hot.
- In a sauté pan, melt 35 g butter. Add flour. Cook for about 1 minute until bubbly.
- Pour stock into butter and flour base.
- Cook over low heat for about 5 minutes until thick.
- Stir in parsley and thyme.
- Add bechamel to chicken and vegetables.
- Taste for salt + pepper.
- Chill completely.
- Roll out dough.
- Cut out tops and bottoms.
- Add bottoms to pans.
- Add filling, leaving a clean edge for crimping.
- Eggwash edges.
- Add tops.
- Crimp along edges with a fork.
- Eggwash tops.
- Poke a couple of holes on top.
- If time is available, chill pies for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 225 C/ 425 F.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until crust is golden, and center is hot (internal temperature 75 C/ 170 F).
For another savory pie recipe, try our Steen’s Syrup Braised Pork Turnovers.